Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Will You Love Me Tomorrow


I was listening to Carole King’s song Will You Love Me Tomorrow when it hit me how much it resonates with so many of the thoughts, conversations and observations of many who are seeking permanent relationships. You meet someone. There’s a connection. You go out – maybe more than once. There’s chemistry. You test drive the car, so to speak, and wonder: is this a momentary thing or is this more? When is it too soon to ask, “will you still love me tomorrow?"

The song itself says it all. Promises are implied; words are spoken. But as human beings, we often give more importance to the unspoken and the promise to come rather than the reality. We mistake the moment for something more leaving us confused, hurt and heartbroken. We want to be loved not only tonight but also tomorrow. Still, we are all guilty of it, living in the moment without thinking of tomorrow. For who among us hasn’t uttered the words you know someone wants to hear just to keep the magic alive for that moment? Who among us hasn’t gotten carried away with the romance of the night? Who among us hasn’t made promises that we have really no intention of keeping? I suppose it’s simply human nature. Unfortunately, eventually, we find ourselves on the other end of it, hoping and wanting the promise and the love not only for the moment, but for tomorrow…and maybe even a lifetime.


Tonight you're mine completely
You give your love so sweetly
Tonight the light of love is in your eyes
But will you love me tomorrow?

Is this a lasting treasure
Or just a moment's pleasure?
Can I believe the magic of your eyes?
Will you still love me tomorrow?

Tonight with words unspoken
You'll say that I'm the only one
But will my heart be broken
When the night meets the morning sun?

I'd like to know that your love
Is love I can be sure of
So tell me now and I won't ask again
Will you still love me tomorrow?

I need to know
Will you still love me tomorrow?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Random thoughts about the world to share, inspire and encourage comments.