Here's a few simple things you can do to "Go Green":
- Get a reusable water bottle. Plastic bottles, even though they are recyclable, are still wasteful. Get a cool water bottle, fill and refill it over and over again.
- Bring your own bags. When you go to the grocery store or pharmacy, bring your bags! They are inexpensive, hold more than either paper or plastic and are good for the environment. Keep them in your car - they store flat so there's no excuse.
- Change your light bulbs to energy efficient bulbs. They've come a long way and really do use less energy.
- Unplug your electronics when not in use. Put your TV, DVD player and cable/satellite box on a power strip and turn it off when you aren't using them. You'd be surprised how much energy you save.
- Try planning all of your errands and do them on the same day. You'll save a little gas and send less emissions into the atmosphere.
- Use your dishwasher. Believe it or not, washing dishes by hand uses and wastes more water than running your dishwasher. Save your hands while you save the planet.
- Turn off lights when you leave a room. No one likes a dark house, but lighting up your house like a Christmas tree is ridiculous. You only need lights in the room you are actually using. Get into the habit: leave the room - turn off the light.
- Recycle, recycle, recycle. Check your county website for the dos and don'ts of recycling in your area. Most counties are accepting more and more for recycling. Request separate bins if you have the space to store them to make it easier for your household and the recycling centers.