Thursday, March 18, 2010

What Do You Want To Be When You Grow Up?

My recent status has thrown me back into the unknown and tumultuous world of the workforce.  Don't misunderstand - I worked the entire time I was having children and raising them - but like many women behind the men, I sacrificed my career to advance someone else's and to ensure that my children were properly and lovingly cared for.  So here I am many years later breaking back into the workforce and basically trying to answer the age old question - "what do I want to be when I grow up?"

Luckily, I have a four-year degree from a prestigious institution.  I am also fortunate to have work experience both in the corporate and non-profit sectors and in some key areas that employers look for.  I have had amazing opportunities and experiences and have thoroughly enjoyed the jobs I have had and the people I have worked with and for.  But even with all that behind me, I am still asking myself the age old question - "what do I want to be when I grow up?"

Where does my passion lie?  What is it that will get me out of bed each day, excited at the prospect of accomplishment in a field that truly moves me?  I ask myself this question daily. 

Here is what I know I am passionate about:  I am passionate about writing.  I am passionate about law and government.  I am passionate about public relations, marketing and communications.  I am passionate about causes and helping my fellow man (woman).  I am passionately looking for a career that encompasses all of these.

So when I ask that questions: what do I want to be when I grow up?  I have some formulation of an answer:  I want to be the kind of person that accomplished something - not necessarily monumental, but something that I can be proud of.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Random thoughts about the world to share, inspire and encourage comments.