Monday, September 7, 2009

Doggie Dead Fish Smell? Douche It Away

"Luca Brasi sleeps with the fishes."  This was all I could think of yesterday as I got a whiff of our puppy who came back in from her afternoon walk.  As I stood there holding my nose trying to put my finger on what the horrific odor was, my son informed me that our just groomed puppy had unfortunately found a dead fish during her walk and decided to roll around in it!  Ugh!  I quickly put her in the tub - not something she likes at all - and proceeded to shampoo, rinse and repeat.  I made sure I got every inch of her - from paws to the top of her furry little head.  Sophie squirmed and yelped, jumped and barked.  Water was everywhere.  Still, I washed her little body until I thought the stench was gone.  I towel dried her and used the blow dryer as best I could only to find that the dead fish smell was still quite pungent.  What to do.  Tomato juice?  My first thought - you know the whole skunk thing.  But bathing a puppy in tomato juice?  Not really top on my list of things to do.  To the internet.
I checked out several sites and the general consensus was...douching.  No really.  News to me but apparently washing the dog with a vinegar and water douche neutralizes the dead fish smell.  Seriously.  So who do you think drew the short straw to go and buy the douche?  My poor, and very embarrassed 17 year old son!  Well he was the one who let the puppy roll in the dead fish to begin with!  The phone call from Publix was priceless.  "What fragrance do you want her to smell like - Spring Rain or Fresh Baby Powder?"  I couldn't help but giggle.  "How about just plain vinegar and water?" He found it, extra cleansing, and thankfully bought the economy pack.  Back to the tub for the puppy.  We had to use all 4 treatments then shampoo, rinse, repeat - again.  And guess what?  It actually worked.  Who knew.  Sophie no longer smells like the fishes!  Thank goodness!  And we all learned something new.  Dead fish smell beware - the disposable douche is here!  Go ahead and laugh, but thankfully, it worked.        



quote courtesy of The Internet Movie Database - The Godfather

3 comments:

  1. Lovely story about poor Sophie. "Douching"...is that when you place the dog over an upward stream of water?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Já aconteceu isso comigo. Meu labrador adorava aprontar uma dessas ... O melhor de tudo é relembrar as loucuras que fazem os cachorros (dogs)... Kisses. Angelo Martins Neto (Brazil)

    ReplyDelete

Random thoughts about the world to share, inspire and encourage comments.