Friday, August 7, 2009

Who Knew I Could Cook? (J&J Part II)


I never enjoyed cooking. There are a million reasons but mostly I think it's because I was told I couldn't do it and I wasn't good at it. But I've been inspired. Now that I am reading Julie & Julia and there is this renewed interest in Julia Child, I am actually getting my hands (and my pots and pans) dirty and trying a few recipes. Amazingly enough, I'm actually pretty good at it. I certainly don't fashion myself a Barefoot Contessa or Martha Stewart but I have been brave enough to try a few of their recipes. It's incredible what you can do when you follow directions, follow your instincts and follow your heart. I'm being serious. After nearly 19 years of being told and agreeing with "no, she can't cook", I am finding myself thinking about it, enjoying it and wanting to share it. For instance, the other night I made a turkey spinach meatloaf (sans the vanilla soy milk mom!) with roasted root vegetables to die for. My daughter and I feasted. It may not seem like much to most, but for me it was a truly triumphant moment! Maybe I can cook. Maybe I just never knew it was in me. Now I am thinking I might be ready to tackle a few of Julia's recipes from Mastering the Art of French Cooking, although after reading Julie Powell's experience with bone marrow, I think I will stay away from steak avec la sauce de moelle de boeuf. Look out, I just might surprise a few and become a foodie yet! Bon Appetit!

2 comments:

  1. Heck if I can bake a fuzzy navel cake for my wifes birthday by just following the directions, so too can you prepare delicious meals. You probably actually know what most of the ingredients are and how they affect a recipe. This piece makes me so happy for you because it shows that you are growing in ways you never thought possible when you were married. It's a whole new world, I'm glad to see you embracing it. You are woman, I hear you roar...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this one. This is very enlightening. :D YOU CAN DO IT !!! The food that you make is always delicious.

    ReplyDelete

Random thoughts about the world to share, inspire and encourage comments.