Sunday, August 9, 2009
Putting Up Drapes
I decided to take a cue from my interior designer sister and "nest" my rental. You know, hang artwork, put up drapes, add the decorative accents? I should point out that I am not a nest-er by nature. I would say that I am more of a gypsy but only in the no-roots, no attachment to houses kind of way. Still, I had been here over a year and had to admit that it was time to make my 1900 square feet more of a home. This of course meant several trips to Home Goods and Bed Bath and Beyond - the thrifty decorator's paradises!
Now the artwork, was pretty easy - pick what you like and hang it up. The decorative accents, no problem - go with your decor and display in pleasing vignette's preferably in sets of threes. The Drapes? A whole other story! Who knew? First there was measuring. Here we should all take a lesson from Norm Abram, "measure twice, cut once." I definitely should have measured at least twice before attempting to attach the rod to the wall. Spackle anyone? And not only that but when the top of the window to the floor measures 84", do not think you can get away with 84" panels! Hello! As my sister told me, go about 4" above the window and let the curtains pool beautifully on the floor. Back to Bed Bath and Beyond did I go.
Once I had the rod up, it took me a few tries to get the rings on. Now, I am a college graduate but let me tell you, the drapery rod should really come with some suggestions for hanging the drapes. I think I had to unscrew the finial off both ends of the rod about half a dozen times not only to position the rings, but also to ensure that I was accounting for the wall brackets and the panel hanging outside the bracket. It was hilarity at it's best - like a Laurel and Hardy moment with the dog nipping at the curtain, the little clips falling off the rings and me trying to get the finials on without moving the rod's position.
I am happy to say that in the end, I do have lovely drapes in my dining room. It only took 4 trips to the store, two different rods (the first one was too short!), two different sets of drapes (the first set were too short and I changed my mind about the stripes), a little spackle and paint and voila! Hanging drapes. Now, I have to tackle the family room! Wish me luck.